Skip to main content

Delivery Room Thoughts...


Ever wonder what the heck goes through people's minds in certain situations?

Like, for example...I always wonder what is going through the dentist's mind when he's looking in my mouth (the hygienist? Now, I know what she's thinkin'...she's a chatty one!).

Is he thinking, "ewwww...she has some nasty breath!"...or, "dang, girl! You've got some nice pearly whites!". In reality it's probably more along the lines of "hmmmm...I wonder what time the Vikes play on Sunday"...or, "Stupid root canals...made me miss my lunch again".

Well, the fabulous Unkept Cook, said I should do a "Talkin' Shop" post on delivery room thoughts...and I thought..."YES!! Fabulastic idea, my friend!"...so, where do we start?

With the pushing? Makes sense...I mean, we could start from the hospital admission...but, we'd be here for daaaaays.

So, pushing it is:

Pushing Thoughts:

Mom: "Oh...I gotta poop...why is this baby insisting on coming out of my rectum...oh, I hope I don't poop...uh oh...I need to barf...am I doing this right...I hope I'm doing this right...it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything...when is the nurse gonna call the doctor in?"

Dad: "What on earth is taking so long...what is that...oh my gosh, she just pooped...I'm not sure I feel so good...hmmmm, I wonder if they know that there are 425 tiles on the ceiling...when is the nurse gonna call the doctor in?"

Nurse: "More poop...at least she's pushing right...wonder how long this'll take...I'm dying to go pee...good thing I've gotta bladder of steel...I wonder if they're wondering when I'll call the doctor in?"

Doctor: well, the doctor's not thinking anything...'cuz he or she is down the hall eating supper, sitting in a comfy leather chair and waiting for the call to come catch the baby.

Getting close to delivery:

Mom: "Ooooooo...this hurts!!!! Seriously, this baby is going to come out of my rectum!!!!! If my husband pats my back/doesn't pat my back/breathes in my face/doesn't give me a kiss/tells me I'm doing a good job/doesn't give me any praise ONE MORE TIME, I'm gonna smack him!! OH, when is she gonna call the doctor in?!!!!!"

Dad: "Wow...she's so indecisive...I just don't know what to do...what is that? The baby's HEAD?!!! Ohmigosh. When is that nurse gonna call the doctor?!!!!!"

Nurse: "Getting closer...guess my bladder can hold up til the end...wonder if I'll have time for supper after delivery...poor dad, looks so worried about doing the right thing...mama's sure doin' a great job of getting this baby out...guess I should call the doctor now."

Doctor: "Dang...can't watch the end of the game...at least I finished my supper."

Delivery Time:

Mom
: "OMG!!!!!!! This effin' hurts!! So THAT is what they call the ring of fire?!!!!!! JUST GET IT OUT!!!!!! I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!!!!! GET IT OUT! IS IT OUT YET?!?!?!? It's here? Wow...oh, look at this sweet little punkin of a love bug!"

Dad: "omg...omg...omg...omg...omg...omg...omg...omg...it's here...omg...omg...omg...omg...omg..."

Nurse: "Almost there...dad kinda looks like he's gonna pass out...here comes the head...oh, come on mama...push hard for those shoulders...legs back....and...WE'RE OUT!! Pit: on...fluids: open...baby: breathing...dad: standing...blood pressure: normal...bleeding: okay...fundus: firm...baby: pink...dad: still standing...mom: beaming."

Doctor: "Protect the perineum, bulb suction...I wonder if Bob can golf on Saturday...shoulders coming...baby out...glad this was done before bedtime...bleeding good...nice delivery...and no stitches...good work, doc!" ;)

And, that...my friends...is "Delivery Room Thoughts", in a nutshell!


Comments

  1. Oh, this post takes me waaayyy back...you know, to two weeks ago. ;)

    In addition to the omg thoughts of the dad, my man most surely was thinking...omg...diaper cost...omg...college fund...omg...wedding (scratch that...I'll let her elope...no I will insist!)...omg

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute!!!!
    that whole pooping thing. After three deliveries I still don't know if I did or didn't. Its the one thing I swore my husband to never speak of!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...this made me laugh so hard...great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantabulastic Post Bestie! Laughed hard and made me glad I won't be givin' birth any time soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was awesome, Mama M! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I wish I hadn't been drinking coffee while I was reading your post.

    This is just too funny. Great post.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha loved the post! so cute! I can't wait to be in that situation one day..or..maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post as usual! I love your "shop talk"!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post friend. really that's exactly what it's like!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! You had me cracking up. I never got that far into thinking, as I had to have a c-section, but I guess that just brings up all other kinds of thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, boy. As someone who hasn't had kids yet, this is not helping me to look forward to it!!! :)

    Although I'm sure it is all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it! I seriously did worry about pooping, but the nurse assured me that she has seen it plenty of times before! Luckily, I didn't poop...

    Your job has to be one of the hardest, but yet rewarding jobs ever. The nurses truly do all the work in l&d, the doctor just catches the baby, or at least that is how my expereince was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great! Funny! The doctor's thoughts are hilarious. We used a midwife in the hospital...and loved it. They spent so much time with us. BTW, the L&D nurses were pretty fantastic, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why, yes, i do often wonder what they are thinking!!! (Well, not in the delivery room since i haven't had kids yet, but other doctors.) This post was hilarious! & i'm sure sooo true! Thanks for the laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why, yes, i do often wonder what they are thinking!!! (Well, not in the delivery room since i haven't had kids yet, but other doctors.) This post was hilarious! & i'm sure sooo true! Thanks for the laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doctor: "Protect the perineum, bulb suction...I wonder if Bob can golf on Saturday..." LOLOL!!

    I wonder if my midwives golf...??

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL..thank, I love it! And for the record as a Dental Assistant, when Im looking in someone's mouth i'm usually thinking of one a few things.
    "omigosh, do they even know what a toothbrush is???"
    "I wonder if she bleaches her teeth? they're so white!"
    "this better not take forever, I wanna get home before 7!!"

    Don't forget to floss!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that was cute!

    I can tell you during the delivery of my 2nd daughter my doctor for sure was thinking, this lady is stupid I can't believe she turned down getting any meds what the hell was she thinking, what an idiot! LOL he laughed at me the next day LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too funny!! Do you have a C-Section version?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love shop talk, hilarious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL You had both my husband AND me laughing like crazy!!!! It was 3 years ago TODAY that our youngest was born. Oh great! Now I have HUGE baby fever. Thanks a lot, my dear. (hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness..this post is so funny!!! Thanks so much for the laugh.

    I remember when I was pushing..that I was counting to 10 in my head, and also thinking to myself, "Why isn't anyone counting for me?"

    ReplyDelete
  23. FUNNY! :-)
    You should teach lamaze or labor and delivery classes for expectant parents, you would be good at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I lol-ed. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aaaargh, don't remind me this part of my life I've removed 8/

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is why I am glad I had a c-section and don't remember the whole experience!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so funny...Remind me to tell you about my overhearing a nurse talk to a VERY young mama who was in the delivery room...I found it very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think you edited what the nurse is really thinking. hehe Oh wait maybe l&d nurses are nicer than ICU nurses.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never been there, so I can't say that this is familiar in any way ... but OH MY GOODNESS did it make me giggle! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What about thoughts from the OR...?

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOL! That's why I use a midwife!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That takes me back to 6-months ago...it is amazing how much you forget in such a short time!! Thanks for reminding me...Hahaha!

    ~WM

    ReplyDelete
  33. We just got back from our childbirth class and this made me laugh because I'm certain that these thoughts ran through both of our minds tonight. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. HAHA I LOVE this!!!!

    okay so NOONE ever told me about the pooping thing until like a couple of months ago. My older friend is pregnant and she read about it in a book! She told me and we flipped!!! neither of us had a clue! lol

    ReplyDelete
  35. pooping in the delivery room? Been there, done that.

    Done that at a UCSF, a teaching hospital, with 2 dozen medical students looking at my bottom while I pooped.

    Back in 1983 when they first allowed a C-section to go vaginal and I was the 3rd woman to do this at UCSF so they all had to watch me do it. I remember looking at them and swearing at my husband to get them out of there.

    I can loook back and laugh now, 26 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I laughed SO DANG hard that I cried! LOVED this post- thanks!!!! And BTW, if you're really serious about the Legos- we order them from Lego.com!

    ReplyDelete
  37. ...and this is why I'm thinking of having a midwife instead of a doctor, whenever that time comes for me. :) Where I live in CO, a LOT of ppl do homebirths, but I'm 30+ minutes from a hospital and just not comfortable with that. However, the more I read, the less I'm psyched about the typical hospital delivery either!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Why doesn't anyone warn you of the pooping thing? I know I did. All 4 times!! Yikes, that's embarrassing.

    Such a funny and true post. You nurses get the kudos for getting us moms through it all so the doctor can catch the babies.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Come on....you know you're thinking "I wish this lady would learn to push so this doesn't take so long!" Or..."Stop screaming and PUSH!" You were being a bit too nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Okay, first of all, I'm 7 months pregnant, so that is my disclaimer. I know your post was meant to be funny, but I am totally have tons of tears running down my face right now! And my husband just called and I had to pretend I wasn't crying! I think the part that got to me was when you had such nice things to say about the mom. I really hope my nurse will feel that way about me. And the doctor thoughts were hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Okay, I am usually working on the "eew" side of the bed, but I've been the momma, too. I think you've nailed this!!! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte