Skip to main content

A Tutu Tutorial...No-sew style!


So, you wanna make a tutu? Well, let me tell you...if you'd've told me that one day I would be writing a post on how to do something crafty, I'd've died from laughter.

Then, I would've composed myself and told you that, surely, you must have the wrong person.

Me? Crafty?

Ha!

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Hahahahahahaha!!!

Alright, tho. If you promise not to laugh too hard, I'll show you how I made a "No-Sew Tutu".

First, cut many pieces of tulle. And, let me warn you of two things, 1. Tulle is hard to cut and 2. Tulle is not fun to cut and 3. You can never cut enough tulle. (Ooops. That was 3 things.)


However, if you can survive the cutting of the tulle, you can breeze through the rest of the tutu without any problems! I'll be honest. I couldn't stomach cutting the tulle all in one sitting. I needed a break.

A two day break.

Continuing on...

I cut the tulle strips into widths of about 3-4 inches. Partly 'cuz I was lazy and figured the wider the strips, the less cutting and partly 'cuz I was basing it off of a tutu I had purchased.

Once your tulle is all cut into perfect, even, not at all jagged or squiggly strips the fun can begin!

Grab your self a length of ribbon. If I remember right, ours was about a yard and a half. (Oh, and for the record, I used just under 4 yards of each color tulle for this tutu...more on this later...)

Take a length of tulle, and double it.


Place the looped end under the ribbon, and pull the two loose ends of tulle through the loop, securing it to the ribbon.


(PS--Am I the only nurse that sees big, bulging veins and dreams of tossing in a large bore IV? Please tell me I'm not alone.)


Repeat until your tutu fits the person which will be sporting your newly created crafty DIY tutu. Remember to leave enough ribbon so that you can tie the tutu with a cute bow.

And that, my friends, is a "Tutu Tutorial"...just for you! (Sorry for the poor photos...it was a last minute shot...)



What I'd do differently:
  • I'd double up the lengths of tulle...so that when doing the "secure loop maneuver" you'll have two strips of tulle you're securing at once. I think it would look "fuller" this way, and not so sparse at the bottom.
  • I'd have something sharper than an old, rusty, sticky, opened one too many freezies scissors with which to cut the tulle.
  • I'd buy more tulle. In this case, more really is more.
Enjoy!

Oh, and if you hadn't guessed...this is part of Belle's Halloween costume...a "pretty" witch! For a Halloween costume, I'd say I didn't do half bad! Not half good, either...but not half bad! ;)


Comments

  1. I love the colors!

    I made my 3 year old niece a tutu for Christmas last year and doubled up the tulle and it was so fluffy! I think it was partly because it was so tiny around the waste.

    I'm not even a nurse, but every once in a while I look at the veins on my hands and think how good easy/good they'd work for an iv. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you did a great job!! I remember this time last year I bought the bee costume from you tutu friend for E.. gosh look at all the money you could have saved me ;)

    Great job.. can't wait to see Belle and all her glory in some halloween pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome!! I have yet to try this one for my daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Just a tip, a rotary cutter works GREAT for cutting tulle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny!!! I thought about making a tutu tutorial because I made my daughter a tutu this weekend for her Halloween costume! Cutting the tule was the worst part, by far! I used 6 yds of each color, 2 colors. I folded my tule in half after cutting the strips and I cut mine 6 inches wide. It does make it fuller.
    I love the colors you picked,so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS! What a great idea! And super easy! I may have to be a ballerina for Halloween this year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job!

    You make me laugh, you know that? You are a very funny lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! She'll make a very pretty witch for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wondered about those no sew tutus but refused to pay for the tutorials. So thank you! I'm totally going to make my daughter a tutu for Christmas since she is very into playing dress up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually use 3 pieces of tulle for each loop, and it comes out really fluffy. I also use the rolls of tulle instead of buying by the yard. I cut the rolls in half to make the strips 3 inches wide and voila! Then if you wind it around a long piece of cardboard and cut the ends, you have instant strips without all of the cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that is really cute! great job!

    XOXO
    Nikki Darlin'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte