Skip to main content

I gave up...


I've always been the bill payer 'round here. My hubby...well, he's what you'd call a little "relaxed" when it comes to paying bills.

Drove me INSANE when we were first married, so, I did what any newlywed would do...I confiscated the checkbook and wouldn't let him near it. Once, when I thought I sent our student loan bill off in the mail, I found it, weeks later, buried under a stash of papers.

I freaked. Hyperventilated. Went into shock. Had a heart attack, then brought myself back to life and called the company...tail between my legs. They were totally understanding, told me that they don't "report late payments until it's been a few months"...so we were fine. I sent the check, then told my husband what happened.

His response? "Well, gosh! I wouldn't send it out 'til the last minute then!!" *shakes head...clucks tongue...rubs temples* See what I had to deal with?

I couldn't stand the thought of not paying the bills on time. Gives me hives just thinking about it...*shudder*.

Well, he's become a lot more...shall we say "responsible" in the almost 10 years and 5 kids since then. Me? I've become more of a freak.

Friends, I am a financial freak.

As in, I freak if the financial situation is anything but peachy.

I've been freakin' lately.

So, I did what any veteran married woman (wait, can I call myself a marriage vet at this point, yet?!) would do. I threw up my hands, brushed them off and said, "I'm done. My psyche can no longer handle the checkbook." I pushed my chair away from the counter, and haven't looked back.

One too many tears of stress shed ('course, they were shed during my near mental breakdown...wonder if I could handle it more now?!)...and I was done.

D. O. N. E.

Done.

It's blissful. Glorious. Dreamy.

Only...I can't quite let go of those early memories of marriage...I keep asking, "Have you paid the bills?" "Hon, did you get the bills paid?" "Hottie, do you see those envelopes over there? They need to be filled with a check."

I came home tonight to a stack of neatly stamped and addressed bills on the counter.

Sigh...

I love my husband.


Comments

  1. I'm the same way when it comes to bills! I have to pay them as soon as I get them or I freak about the thought of them being late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Im a new follower through follow friday. Come visit my kitchen for some great recipes! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! I'm the bill payer here, and I always will be. Stressful as it is, I think it would be more stressful to hand over the reigns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so not the bill payer around home. I gladly gave up that task when we exchanged our vows. I hate writing checks, yes, the actual writing of checks. I had to resume bill paying when my husband deployed and I can't wait to relinquish that task again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian does all the bill paying here. I just can't take the stress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife and I have been leaving together for 2 years. It was difficult at the beginning to confront each of our relation to money. I am still trying to make her handle it my way.

    I prefer automatic billing, and always keeping a good amount on my checking account. This way I don't worry about it. When I can't do automatic, I will do it with my bank's bill pay service. Finally for filing papers, the whole family use xambox, this way when any of us come home, we stack our papers in the scanner, and they are already filed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be the bill payer...when we were first married. I had a similar melt-down about 8 years ago and it's all his. I had to let go of trying to give him my "system" and trust that his was responsible as well :) Now I love that it is taken care of for me...one of the perks of being a marriage veteran!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound just like me. I've been contemplating throwing in the proverbial towel and relinquishing finances to the hubby as well. I don't know, though. It's so hard when you know they aren't as fanatical as we are... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gladly handed over the bills (and my pay check) to my DH once we were married. One less stress for me to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the same way when it comes to bills, and I lived with my sister who didn't give them a second thought, so I can completely relate! But now I live with my guy, who worries about them even more than I do... what a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tag! You're it!
    http://adventuresnabbyland.blogspot.com/2010/10/tag-im-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats great that he will take over when its too much for you...Thats what a marriage should be...a team effort. When I was married we woulda been homeless if I wasn't paying attention. LOL...Homeless with a huge TV...he was always trying to live above our means...Hope your feeling less stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was the same way but I gave the job away years ago. He's never been late on a bill that I know about :) I have found the more you trust them with, the more trustworthy they become.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte