Skip to main content

The Outlaws...and Breeding Cows.


I experienced something the other night that I can honestly say I've never ever experienced before. Interesting stuff...

Let me tell you a little story.

This, is BIL #1 (not 'cuz I rate my BIL's according to favorites...it's just that he's the oldest of my husbands brothers...well, all siblings, actually...). BIL #1 has a way with cows.

BIL #2 (ha!! Fitting for him...#2!!) and my hubby raise Red Angus beef cattle as a hobby. Part of raising said cattle is...well...making more cattle. Phrases like, "I might be late...I hafta breed a cow" are entirely normal around here.

Only thing is...is I'm a city girl. Well...a "recovering" city girl! When my hubby convinced me to move to the country, I had no idea what I was missing! But, never in my life have I been witness to a "cattle conception".

And, I had my chance last week. (Warning...the following photos may be graphic to some viewers...and may invoke many questions by small children if they happen to see them...continue at your own risk or something...)

This is BIL #1...preparing his "effects":

This is BIL #1 up to his biceps in...well...ahem:

And that's where I wanted to go up to that sweet red cow, pet her and sooth her and speak to her woman to woman.

She looked at me with her big brown eyes...and I didn't have the heart to take anymore photos. Poor girl. Well...at least she'll get a sweet little red cow out of the deal (or bull...but, I still call 'em all "cows").

'Cept for this guy:

"Mickey"! Ha!! Don't let the name fool ya. He ain't no mouse, that's for sure! Dude is HUGE!!!

Anyway...I no longer have any desire to see a cow be bred anytime soon.

But, the "unbreding", I'd LOVE to see! All those cute little calves...and I haven't been able to see one...NOT A ONE!!...be birthed yet. Oh, the inequities of life...

I am a woman on mission to watch a baby calf be born (let's just hope I don't forget my camera!!)!


Comments

  1. You should contact my cousin Crystal at Soup Baby she is also a "cow" making family and she has some cool videos of the birthings interesting to say the least =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to yelp with pain for that poor cow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby is a good "cow breeder" too! LOL! We raise Red Angus too, just curious what bull did they breed the lovely lady too??

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I are both veterinarians. He does exclusively large animals-mainly cows and horses. Our dinner table conversation can be interesting...some are related to breeding- like "I have to wait to breed that horse-the semen is stuck in Toronto" and various other OB stuff- like prolasped uterus and dystocias and sections. The lives we lead and we really wonder what our kids teachers think of our lives.
    Newish reader, first time commenter, fellow proud Roman Catholic and Canadian to boot (complete with Cdn pronunciation of "boot").
    Love your blog esp 5Q Friday
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte