Skip to main content

In the Kitchen with Gram...Laura's Bok Choy Salad!

Technically, this is my soon to be cousin-in-law's salad, so I'll technically call it "Gram's Laura's Boy Choy Salad" because I've started a theme that all of our recipe's start with "Gram's" and if I don't follow that theme I'll break out in hives and start sweating profusely.



Excuse my OCD.

In any event, you will want to promptly make this salad...it is one of my absolute favorites, and even more of a treat when Laura brings it! (Doesn't food always taste better when someone else makes it?!)

Okay, here we go...(excuse the camera photos, I forgot my "big girl" camera at home and didn't have time to run and grab it!).

First up, the most tedious part...chopping.

Chop up the Bok Choy into, as Laura says, "frustratingly small, but delicious" pieces. :) Add in sliced green onion, and set aside.



Let's make the dressing next.

Oil, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar:



Whisk it together and set aside.



Now, time for the crunchy bits!


Melt some butter in a pan, and add in the ramen and the nuts:




Then the sugar.



Right now I'm going to give you a very important piece of advice. When making your crunchy bits, do not, I repeat DO NOT think that you are safe to walk away from them. They will go from not at all brown to BURNT CRISP in .0003 seconds and you need to babysit them.

Please, do as I say. Not that, you know, I've learned my lesson or anything. Ahem.

Carrying on...

After your crunchy bits are browned, spread them on a paper towel to cool. Make sure to cool them pretty well, or your greens might wilt when you add them together!

When you're ready to serve, add in the crunch bits to the chopped greens, pour the dressing over the top and toss! (Wow. Is THAT ever a great photo, or WHAT?!)


Transfer to a pretty dish, and ENJOY! This salad is so crisp and crunchy and salty and sweet...it's like a party for your senses!! So, so, SO yummy!




Gram's Laura's Bok Choy Salad 

Salad Greens:
2 lbs (or more) Bok Choy: washed, dried, chopped into very small, frustrating, but delightful pieces
4 green onions, sliced
Toss Salad Greens in a bowl. Set aside.

Crunchy bits:
½ cup (or less) butter
2  3oz packages uncooked Ramen noodles, no seasoning, broken into small pieces
3 oz sliced, slivered or chopped almonds
¼ oz sesame seeds
2 tsp sugar

Melt butter in pan. Add remaining crunchy bits ingredients and sauté until golden brown. Cool on paper towels.  When cool, break into pieces.

Dressing:
¾ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
½ cup sugar

Combine dressing ingredients and whisk (or shake in jar) until sugar dissolves and oil and vinegar are well mixed.

Toss salad greens with shaken dressing to taste. Add crunchy bits before serving to maintain maximum crunchiness.

Enjoy!! 



Comments

  1. Oh wow! My husband likes bok choy and we never cook with it. I'm going to have to hunt it down in a grocery store! And yes, that was a great action shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My but that sounds tasty. Something about the look of the toasted crunchy bits in the completed salad reminds me of craisins which would add a sweet/tart chewy dimension to that party in your mouth salad! Yum...gotta find the bok choy. The only time we eat it is when we order in Chinese food...what a shame!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte