Skip to main content

In the Kitchen with Gram...Pork Roast

Guys, I've just gotta say it (again?)...this blog "feature" that I'm doing with my grandma? Best. Thing. Ever!! Win win win (win?). I get to spend "scheduled time" (i.e. no "gosh, it's busy, life is crazy, I've got x, y, z going on...") with my gram, I get to learn her culinary secrets, feed my family the goods we cook and bring it all to YOU.

Why didn't I think of this sooner?!

Anyway, my grandma makes the best (EVERYTHING!!) gravy...and today, I'm going to show you Pork Roast Her Way, in anticipation of her mashed potatoes (light, fluffy, heavenly) and gravy later this week.

I'd lump 'em all together, but I found that two (much less three!) recipes in one post are overkill...too many words, too many photos, too much "do this and that and this and that" for one post.

So, one recipe per post it shall be!

First up:



Grab yourself a little Crisco...Gram says "oil just doesn't do it". Listen to Gram...she knows what she's talkin' about!

Plop a glob of Crisco and a blob of butter into a skillet set rather high. On Gram's oven, we go high...on my oven, I know that I would turn whatever I am cooking into a raging inferno if I put it on high, so just make a judgement call...but remember, you want that sucker HOT!



(Time out...does this happen to anyone else on Blogger? Wonky photo uploads? HELP!!)

Oh, and plan on adding more butter and more Crisco at it cooks in to the meat. Do as I say. You hear? ;)

Next, grab your loins.

Erm. Ahem. *blushes* Um, I mean PORK loins...TENDERloins, actually.



And season the heck out of 'em.



When you season things, start by putting a thin "coat" on, I'm surprised, after these last few weeks of cooking with Gram, at how often I under season things.

Once you've got a nice "coating" of salt and coarse pepper on your loins, it's time to brown these babies! Make sure your butter/Crisco is HOT...drop a couple of drops of water (JUST A COUPLE!!) into the pan, it should sizzle immediately. (Wonky photo alert...)



 Now...how "brown" is "browned"? Like this:



Nice and golden and almost "crispy". Perfection. Time to flip these beauties over.

And finish browning all sides. Your gravy will thank you for this browning part. 



After your pork loins have been browned on all sides, we're gonna finish them off in the oven. High heat at first, then lower. So, pan and all (you know, if your pan is oven safe, that is), put these guys in the oven.



In approximately one episode of a Food Network Show, (i.e. 30 minutes) take your pan out of the oven and flip your meat, then finish off with not quite as much time on the second side.


Now, when your loins are sufficiently cooked (that'd be 160-170 on a meat thermometer...but, tip here, take them out when the thermometer reaches 150-155, because they'll continue to cook a bit when you take them out of the oven.

Remove them from their butter/Crisco bath and cover them with aluminum foil, to keep warm...DO NOT CUT THEM YET!! Let them sit for 10 minutes so the juices will stay put and you'll have delicious, moist, tender meat.



 Now...that butter/Crisco bath? That's gonna be the gravy...so stay tuned!


Soon, you shall see what completes this roast!

Gram's Pork Roast
Printable Recipe

1 2-3lb Pork Tenderloin
Salt and coarse ground pepper to taste (approximately 2 teaspoons...remember, "lightly coat" the surfaces of each side!)
4 T butter, start with 2 T for browning, add more if pan starts to get dry
4 T Crisco, start with 2 T for browning, add more if pan starts to get dry

Over high heat, melt Crisco and butter until hot and bubbly and just starting to brown. Season all sides of pork loin with salt and pepper (do not be afraid of the salt...that's a lot of meat to season!). Brown each side of pork loin until dark golden brown and slightly "crispy"...like it has a "crust" on it. Preheat oven to 425, place browned pork loins into oven for 30 minutes, remove, decrease oven temp to 325, and finish cooking for 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 150-155*F. Remove from drippings and cover with tin foil to let sit for at least 10 minutes. Reserve drippings for gravy.

Mashed potatoes and gravy coming soon!!



Comments

  1. Good gracious that looks good. Can't wait to see the rest of the recipes to go with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great; might have to try that tomorrow, even before finding out about the yummy gravy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanted to let you know that I made this pork tonight (even w/o Gram's potato & gravy to go with) and it was a huge hit with hubs. Oh, and I will say, Gram was probably right about the Crisco. I only had oil, so I went with that, but mine didn't brown as prettily as yours. Anyway, thanks to you and Gram both.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte