Hey Hot and Healthy ladies! How're you doin'?
I'm doing pretty good, 'cept I have this paper cut and I didn't sleep well las--what's that?
Oh...you want your tip!
Sorry! Have you checked out Keely's fitness tip today? When you're finished reading here, head on over there!!
So...you know when your mom and dad told you to eat your fruits and vegetables?
Well, they weren't doing it just to be mean!
Fruits and veggies pack one heckuva nutritious punch! Like, um...like Muhammad Ali...or something!
So, if we're gonna compare food and people...I used to be like potato chips (weak and greasy...totally not healthy)...I think I'm up to a pretzel now...and fruits and veggies are like Muhammad Ali!! Strong, powerful...they're a legend, man.
Well, okay...that's being a little dramatic.
But, dang sista'! They are good for you!
I mentioned it briefly last week...but, fruits and veggies should be the main part of your meal! By filling your plate with fruits and veggies...you not only pack your bod full of vitamins (more on that in a minute), but you fill your belly with more good stuff than bad.
Now...don't you go listenin' to those Atkin's folks. I don't buy it! I don't get how you can essentially live on meat, and be healthy. It goes against everything that makes sense in this world.
I just can't wrap my head around it.
And, dude...fruits and veggies? Not only do they taste great...but they're loaded with vitamins...and fiber.
Fiber...it does a body good.
Nutrients galore, my friends! I found an awesome site, from the CDC...about the benefits, importance, and gobs of info about fruits and veggies. I love finding reputable sites with awesome information!
It gives me something to wrap my mind around. You know...besides People magazine and the latest celebrity gossip.
Deep, vibrant, colorful fruits and veggies contain a boat load of vitamins.
Vitamin C, folate, beta-carotene, potassium--just to name a few!
The deeper, more vibrant the color...the more nutritious!
I found another great site (iVillage with NBC), that lists the top five fruits and veggies...here's their lists:
Top Five Fruits:
- Watermelon: Loads of vitamin C and carotenoids, good amount of fiber, and low in calories.
- Papaya: Loads of vitamin C and carotenoids, great source of potassium and fiber.
- Orange: Great vitamin C and folate, and plenty of fiber if you eat the whole fruit and not just the juice.
- Grapefruit (pink or red): Loads of vitamin C and carotenoids, good amount of fiber of the cholesterol lowering type, pectin, plus it contains phytochemicals such as flavonoids, terpenes, and limonoids.
- Apricots: They are brimming with beta-carotene, have loads of potassium and fiber, and contribute some vitamin C to the diet. Dried apricots don't have the vitamin C, but are a good source of iron. Canned apricots have only half the vitamin C and beta- carotene as fresh.
Top Five Vegetables:
- Spinach: Great source of beta-carotene, vitamin C, folate, iron, potassium, and calcium.
- Sweet Potatoes: Loads of potassium, vitamin C, beta-carotene, and fiber.
- Collard greens: Superb source of beta-carotene, member of the cruciferous family of vegetables, known for their cancer prevention power, loads of vitamin C and folate, good source of calcium and fiber.
- Carrots: Loads of beta-carotene, and fiber.
- Sweet Red Pepper: A great source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, and fiber.
Well, there ya have it, girls! I challenge you to fill your plates with the good stuff--fruits and veggies!