Skip to main content

Five Question Friday!! 8/31/12

Labor Day Weekend...the end of summer as we know it. Forgive me for a second...I need to compose myself...



Okay, I'm better now.

Anyway, any big plans? Camping? Picnics? Just another weekend for ya?

Let's get down to Five Question Friday!

Welcome to Five Question Friday!! You've come to the right place if you want a fun, easy post or if you've suddenly discovered your muses have up and run away, being it's the last weekend of summer and all. 

Rules for 5QF: Copy and paste the following questions to your blog post, answer them, then watch for the linky post to appear Friday morning and LINK UP!

Oh, and remember (pay close attention...this is the important one)...HAVE FUN!

Questions for Friday, August 31st: (Special thanks to Pam (@trooppetrie) from Troop Petrie (TWO questions!! Pam is always an awesome question offerer upper, thanks Pam!), Ellen (Tracy) (@StandandbStrong) from , Kristin (@kasmith03) from The Smith Family Journey, and Scott (@thisdaddys_blog) from This Daddy's Blog for these 5QF question suggestions! I would love to link you in a future 5QF, so come on over to my community or watch for my Thursday afternoon shout out for questions on Twitter and offer up your best question suggestions! Remember to @5crookedhalos me and use hashtag #5QF if you go the Twitter route!)

1. What do you enjoy doing the most with your spouse?

2. How do you eat your taco? From the top or from the side?

3. Have you ever shut off the basement light and ran like a fool because you knew someone was down there and would get you?

4. If you could change one thing about you what would it be and why?

5. What age do you think is appropriate to have the "bird and the bees" talk with your children?

-------------------------------------------

1. What do you enjoy doing the most with your spouse?

Um. Ahem. Folks, this is a family show. We can't talk about things like that. ;)

Kidding. Well, not really, but you know.

I love talking with him. Hashing out the world's problems and concluding that the only thing that is right in this world, is us. ;) Kidding.

Being married is really one of the most wonderful (and difficult) things in the whole world. Spending everyday with your best friend, the person who knows you best, the one with whom you can totally and completely be yourself...it's amazing.

I guess, really, what I love most is just being with him. Spending time in silence or talking, just being. I love it.

2. How do you eat your taco? From the top or from the side?

Ha! What a fun question...from the side. Mostly. But my mouth isn't big enough to take down the top with each bite, so I need to go at it from the top every so often, too.

My favorite way to eat a taco is as a salad. I have a little secret to tell you...something that you will thank me for forever and ever. The next time you have a taco salad, put a little Western dressing and some Miracle Whip on it.

So. Delicious.

Great. Now I want a taco salad.

3. Have you ever shut off the basement light and ran like a fool because you knew someone was down there and would get you?

Wait. This isn't normal behavior? You mean, not everyone does this?

Heck yes, I do!! Seriously, that serial killer is just biding his time, waiting to grab your ankle and make you his next victim if you don't move too quickly.

What's even worse? Shutting off the light and then getting to bed because HELLO!! That serial killer is now UNDER your bed, just waiting to grab your leg as you leap (oh, come on...you're telling me you don't LEAP into bed when it's dark? Liar.) into bed.

So, yes. Always I run like a fool. And look?! I'm still alive.

4. If you could change one thing about you what would it be and why?

One physical thing? I'm "mole-y". My skin is yucky...all speckled and mole-ful (not to mention break out prone). So, one physical thing is to change my skin.

Or my short legs.

One "me" thing? I'd like to magically become less lazy overnight. I know, I CAN change this (and believe you me, it's something I fight daily) but it's just so much better to lounge on the couch than it is to scrub the floors.

5. What age do you think is appropriate to have the "bird and the bees" talk with your children?

This was in interesting Twitter debate.

One upon a time my BIL and SIL told me that they read that 9 is the best age and I thought they were high on crack. NINE?!?!?!? But then, I considered their reasoning...because, as a parent, it is better to give your child the CORRECT information first than for them to hear the INCORRECT information from school friends.

Now, let me tell you...Belle and Dubya had been hearing the "s" word on the bus and at school, at ages 9 and 7, and because I firmly believe in the above theory, I brought it up to them and we had a very good (and thorough) discussion on sex. Did I want to tell my 7 year old about sex? No, but because of the situation, I wanted him to be informed by ME, not the bus kids or the school kids.

Me. His parent. The person from whom he can trust to get correct and complete information from.

Establishing a foundation of trust for the future. And let me tell you, this "organic" conversation was WAY easier than the "forced" one I had with Pal at 11, because he had never brought it up or asked, I felt it was time for him to know.

I have always been very open with my kids on matters of the body...I never shriek or yell or jump all over them if they walk in on me in the bathroom, even if it's mid-tampon change (sorry, men, for that word) so since they've been very young, they've been given information on women's bodies, how they work and why we bleed every month.

A period is a matter of fact. It's a bodily function...so in my book, not talking to your kids about it or hiding it or sugar coating it or ignoring it is just like not talking about pooping. Or farting. Or burping.

A period isn't a bad thing. It's a natural thing. A NORMAL thing...and I treat it that way.

It's lead to very open discussions with my "pre-pubescent" daughter on what she can expect from her body. It's allowed us to shop for her "emergency kit" to be prepared for that time, and to shop without embarrassment or shame.

Ultimately, it has to be at the parent's comfort level...but "too early" is way better than "too late" in my book. Within reason, of course...I wasn't about to give Baby Girl more details when, at 4, she asked and was persistent about "but mama, HOW does the daddy help get the baby in there?".

Yeah...four was too young for me!

---------------------------------------

And with that, I hope y'all enjoy your last weekend of summer!



Comments

  1. Yum taco salads!!! Ok I'm totally cracking up at the leaping into bed. I never thought about it but now that you brought it up its hilarious because I do this a lot. I even run past the basement stairs on my way to bed. Oh my HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plans for labor day: picnic at my grandparents house. Hope it doesn't get rained on too much. We'd love to have one more afternoon of swimming.

    Great questions today - thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's funny that our answers are so similar! Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog and the questions you pose. Have a great Labour Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We plan to get a little work done around the house. We have some unfinished projects to take care of! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For reasons I can't recall right now, I've always told my children those are Angel Kisses. Now when they point to their own moles they shout "another angel kiss mom!" Hopefully that helps them to turn into something fun and special and not feel embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever since I found out I have a casein allergy, I discovered mayo is good on anything. I never understood why people look for creatures under there bed!! I have been learning over the years not to be so prudish around my children (I was brought up that you do not discuss girl things and more). I love that my daughter can be more open and talk about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl these questions are hilarious some times. love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My niece was ten when my husband and I were laughing at seeing an adult bookstore in the shadow of a very phallic water tower. She knew the sex basics but didn't understand why it was funny. I carefully told her about what a lot of people have said about that particular water tower. Then she asked how it could be used as a sex toy. I delicately explained it and she was totally grossed out. (Thank God that was gross at ten)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte