Skip to main content

Five Question Friday! 11/9/12

Holy moly can a girl waste a lot of time on YouTube. After Jenny from Zack's Gang posted a Straight No Chaser video I hadn't seen we wasted about an hour and a half watching (amazing!!!) videos of them on YouTube!


Incredible.

And now I want Christmas to come.

Anyway, let's get to the party!

Welcome to Five Question Friday!! You've come to the right place if you want a fun, easy post or if you've suddenly discovered your muses are too busy reminiscing about their childbirthing experiences to be bothered by you.

Rules for 5QF: Copy and paste the following questions to your blog post, answer them, then watch for the linky post to appear Friday morning and LINK UP!

Oh, and remember (pay close attention...this is the important one)...HAVE FUN!

Questions for Friday, November 9th: (Special thanks to Gas Girl (@gasfamily) from The Gas Family and little ol' me
 for these 5QF question suggestions! I would love to link you in a future 5QF, so come on over to my community or watch for my Thursday afternoon shout out for questions on Twitter and offer up your best question suggestions! Remember to @5crookedhalos me and use hashtag #5QF if you go the Twitter route!)


1. If you had c-section do you wish you would have had vaginal? Or vice versa?

2. If vaginal did you go drug free?

3. Did you have any complications?

4. Who was in the delivery room with you?

5. Did you document your labor and delivery? (Photos, videos, etc.)

6. Pick the birth story of one of your children and tell us ALLLLLLLL about it!


----------------------------------------------

1. If you had c-section do you wish you would have had vaginal? Or vice versa?
5 vaginal births and not a c-section to speak of...thank goodness! Once you've "ruined" your lady bits a c-section would be like a kick while you're down.


So, no...I am VERY glad I had vaginal births...especially seeing as I'm kinda "granola" and Little House on the Prairie-ish about childbirth.

See question 2.

2. If vaginal did you go drug free?

I did! And I'm proud to say that I did...not in the "I did it and you didn't, neener neener" way, but more proud of my own accomplishment that I did what my body was intended to do!


I'm kind of weird, but I LOVE labor and delivery. Yeah, it hurts like a mutha, but it is SO amazing. So wonderful. So worth every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still opt to go drug free and as au naturale as possible!

3. Did you have any complications?

None. Not once, thank God!


With my Babe, I was taken off of work at 37 weeks due to increasing blood pressure and that week and a half that I sat at home on "maternity leave" without a baby in my arms was soooooo hard! 

I'm convinced that's what made me go to the hospital prematurely and get sent home. Wishful thinking.

How embarrassing. 5th baby. Labor and delivery nurse. Get's sent home because she's not in labor.

4. Who was in the delivery room with you?

Just me and my amazing labor coach of a husband. You hear of husbands watching sports, falling asleep...mine? Rubbed my back even when I snapped at him to "quit touching me!! NO! Wait, rub THERE! STOP TOUCHING ME!! Why aren't you rubbing my back?!"...poor guy.


Looking back, I really wish I would've had my mom in with me, just so she could experience birth from "the other side" (as in, not her own) because it is so incredible. I'm her only daughter and chances are, she lost her opportunity...gosh, maybe I should have another just for her?!

Okay, maybe not.

Love you though, mom! :)

5. Did you document your labor and delivery? (Photos, videos, etc.)

Nope. I wasn't really into photography back then...any photos I took were strictly, "I need to remember this but I don't really care what the picture looks like"...now? I would LOVE to have someone do a birth photostory for me.


I love that. Love all the things it captures.

6. Pick the birth story of one of your children and tell us ALLLLLLLL about it!

Okay, so ever since I wrote about Pal's birth story, I've wanted to share my other "favorite" birth story. But wait! Don't get me wrong, they ALL were amazing but a little "vanilla" compared to Pal's and Dubya's.

So, here is Pal's if you want a good laugh...and I will now commence with Dubya's birth story.

One dark and stormy night...okay, fine, so it wasn't dark or night but it was going to storm, so it sorta fits.

Anyway, I was in the middle of my weekend of work and that particular morning I was contracting. Nothing terrible, but definitely noticeable. In the middle of my shift, I had my friend/charge nurse/co-worker check me, no real change so I just plugged along.

At the end of my shift, we decided she'd check me again and I'd changed a teeny bit, but obviously not really in rip-roarin' labor...and I was worried. We live a bit of a distance from the hospital (enough that it makes it slightly worrisome about getting there "in time") and I needed antibiotics in labor so I talked with the OBGYN on call and she laughed and said "go home...worst case, you'll deliver in the car!"...um, yeah. Kinda trying to avoid that.

Oh yeah...and there was a snow storm brewing. Soooooo...I decided to go walk. I picked a nearby department store and walked and everytime I had a contraction, I'd squat and I'd walk and squat and contractions were more frequent and stronger and I gave my hubby the go ahead to come on down. It was snowing in earnest by that time and my awesome little bro brought Mr. W down so that we'd only have one car at the hospital.

The Mr. and I headed to the hospital...me more uncomfortable now and I checked in and had made cervical change so it was time to have a baby. I needed those pesky antibiotics before they'd break my water and the doc on call volunteered to break my water and my own doc was going to come for the delivery.

They wanted the antibiotics in for 4 hours before I delivered, so the on call doc made me "promise" not to deliver before midnight and I was all, "HUHHHH? I will cross my legs and PANT through them because I want to deliver AFTER midnight so I can stay an extra day!" and she laughed.

Well, contractions come fast and furious, my doc shows up checks in on me goes to the lounge and at approximately 1:27 am I had the most incredible urge to push (no pain meds, remember) and I looked at my nurse with "those eyes" (if you're a labor and delivery nurse you know what "those eyes" are) and she was all, "Breathe, okay, breathe, can I get Dr. S in here, breathe, good job mama, breathe..." and I was all *stare at that cluster of holes in the ceiling tile, stare at that cluster of holes in the ceiling tile, stare at that cluster of holes in the ceiling tile*.

The doctor comes in, my amazing nurse kept everything calm and relaxed and I pushed a couple of times and my doctor says, "Mama...reach down. Grab your baby." and I looked down and grabbed my sweet baby under the arms and DELIVERED HIM the rest of the way.

What an amazing experience. AMAZING!!!

I also had a mirror for his delivery and had given my co-workers explicit instructions that they were to DEMAND that I open my eyes and watch...and watch I did.

Seriously, the best birth ever. EVER.

So, while Pal's was a rat race of "I'VE GOTTA POOP!!!!!" proclamations, Dubya's was the polar opposite. Calm, serene, and totally, completely everything I'd ever wanted in a birth.

Oh great. Now I want another baby.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Or not. ;) Have a wonderful weekend...stay tuned for Gram's Stuffing and Gravy which I meant to get up yesterday but I will post it as soon as I can!


Comments

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte