Skip to main content

An Indecisive Weekend

From the weather to the company, nothing turned out to be "as planned" for our family weekend!

Yes, this weekend was, most definitely, a weekend of indecision!

I have a brother in-law, he lives in CA with his family. We get to see them once, maybe twice, a year. And this was the weekend we were anticipating their arrival!

We decided to spare my mother in-law the stress and strife and responsibility of hosting her 10 children and their many children, who always look forward to seeing my BIL and his fam. So, we rented out a resort...yup, the whole, dang, resort...well, except for one cabin, but we don't like to admit that.

Then, the phone call. Friday afternoon, and my BIL and fam were "stuck" at LAX with a suspected case of appendicitis. So, they hopped in a car and drove the three hours back to their home to see their pediatrician. All's well, just a nasty case of a tummy bug, and this was where the indecision sets in.

First, BIL and fam aren't coming (for obvious reasons), then, maybe they are. Nope, turns out they're not...too much "unknown" traveling with a sick little one. Then? Yup, maybe they are. Frequent flier miles were found to procure tickets for their whole family. Then, nope, little one has the runs now...they'll come in December instead. Final answer? You got it!! Nope! Woke up this am to the definitive answer that, yes, indeed, they are coming!! Late, late tonight, they will make their decent into MSP for the week. Sigh...at least that's the plan for now.

Next? The weather! Sheesh, usually fall in MinneSOOOta is gorgeous. And I mean breathtaking. Temps in the 50's-60's, foliage all aflame with the most amazing colors, nighttimes perfect for bonfires and snuggling. It's great!

But this weekend? Indecisive...well, kinda. Mid to late week, temps were great, sun was shining, then the weekend approaches and the prediction was snow. SNOW?!!! As a born and raised MinneSOOOOta chick, I take all weather predictions with a grain of salt...or perhaps with a whole block of salt. When the weather man/lady says snow, they could very well mean sunny and 80 degrees. You just. can't. be. sure.

Turns out, they were right...Friday night, the flakes started, first little flurries, then in earnest! And lemme tell ya, even we frozen folk get a little startled to see snow falling when there are still abundant leaves on trees!! I still wasn't havin' this whole snow thing...I thought it'd melt as soon as it hit...but Saturday morning I wake up...and wowza!!! There was snow on the ground and on the roof tops and on the cars! I did get a photo, of a bright red maple, in all it's glory, surrounded by snow (but I forgot my USB cable, so I can't download it yet!!). Weird...even for us MN folk, dontchaknow!

And, to top it off, our Tiny Girl woke up, indecisive. Apparently, she couldn't decide if she should really be up, or not. Yeah, talk about waking up on the wrong side of the Pack 'N Play...sheesh, that girl is cah-raaaaab-by!!!

So, now we pack up. We head back to our homes and prepare for what and, try to decide how, we'll entertain the BIL and his fam when they come! This weekend our state has a long break, so it's good timing...and I'm sure we'll have fun!

And, even though we would've never rented out an entire resort "just because" (afterall, we only did it 'cuz the BIL was coming...but, then, you know, didn't come), I'm glad we did! It was a great weekend full of family, fun, and (of course!!) food!!

Hope your weekend was fabulastic!! ;)

Comments

  1. Good luck with everything! Our weather in Kansas has been crazy too- cold and looking like snow any minute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I got confused just reading that. Poor you guys having all the 'up in the air' feeling... never really knowing who was coming or going!!

    I am SOOOOO missing fall!! Its my FAV season, and its usually so beautiful here... I am just praying like crazy that it will get a *bit warmer so I can get the kids outside and do some fun fall stuff...

    oh well.

    Blessings!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that everything worked out with your BIL and his clan .. it's always heart wrenching when you have to cancel plans with people who you were so excited to see!

    And the snow .. oh I SO agree! We look out our back window into the woods and we see GREEN leaves and WHITE snow. That's so not right!! :) Guess Minnesota decided to discover the beauty of winter a little early this year ... I just wish I knew where my snow brush is for my truck, as well as where my boots are! *SiGh* Oh well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte