Skip to main content

To Die for Chicken Salad.


I first must say...this is not an original recipe...I got it from my mom, who got it from who knows where...but it is sooooo good and I must pass it on!

For real...sooooooo good. I wanna bathe in it.

It's incredible.

Okay, let's get started!

You'll need this:


And, take that can of chicken and multiply it by two. You can also add in celery and onion, which the recipe calls for...but my kids will only eat this if there is no celery and onion in it.

Well, 'cept for my oldest. He won't eat anything that's not breaded and deep fried and that doesn't contain the words "chicken" and "fingers" in it's name. Weirdo.

Okay...so, first, I want you to toast your almonds. And that thar is a demand!

Untoasted, plain old almonds are...meh:


But, when you toast them...mmmmm...delish! I did mine at 350 for about 7 min...but, I like mine just a tad on the overtoasted side. So, adjust time for your own nutty preferences! ;)


While your almonds are getting all toasty (don't forget to set a timer...nothing worse than burnt nuts...), start cutting up some grapes...these were some wonkin' grapes, so I quartered them:


Total amount of grapes is about 3/4c.-1c., depending on your taste.


Next, heaven. Pure, unadulterated, basil heaven. Fresh. Fragrant. Fabulous!! Honestly...I'm not sure there's anything that smells better than basil.

Except a newborn.


But, anyway...newborns aside...julienne your basil (after it's been washed and patted dry).

Here's how I julienne...stack 'em:

Roll 'em:

Smoke 'em!

Kidding!! KIDDING!

Slice 'em:


And, voila! Perfectly julienned strips of ridiculously fragrant basil.

I *heart* basil.


Now, dump the chicken, grapes, cooled nuts, and basil (and celery and onions, if your little heart so desires) in a bowl...but, completely forget to take a photo of it 'cuz you're a nincompoop.

Add in the mayo and/or Miracle Whip--I'm a Whip girl...but, the recipe called for mayo...so I did a little of both!

Here's where it gets tricky...well, not tricky really, but "touchy"...the mayo/Miracle Whip amount rests entirely on your shoulders. I can't even begin to tell you how much I used.

You start with a small amount, and add small amounts, until it is the "wetness" you prefer! I'll tell you this: I started with 1 heaping soup spoon full of each...and added little bits until it was the poifect consistency!

Then, take little dollar buns (which were left out of the "You'll need this" photo by some incompetent food blogger wannabe), slice them, and stuff 'em full!


This is the most flavorful, amazing chicken salad.

And I don't lie.


Stuff a whole bunch of dollar buns, then pack up and head to the back 80 (or, in our case, our backyard) with your family for an impromptu picnic.

Ahhh...pure bliss...

Basil Chicken Salad
2 cans cooked chicken (or, a coupla cups), drained
3/4-1 c. slivered, toasted almonds
3/4-1 c. red grapes, halved or quartered
1/4 c. basil (or more, if you live for basil like I do)
Mayo/Miracle Whip or both...to taste
Celery and onions optional (you know, if your family isn't picky like mine)
~2 dozen dollar buns

Toast almonds in 350 degree preheated oven for 5-7 minutes...watch closely, 'cuz once they start browning, they go quick! Mix all ingredients together, well...all ingredients 'cept for the buns (like, duh!). Remember to start small with the mayo/MW...you can always add more, but you can't take it away! Stuff dollar buns with chicken salad...and thank me in the morning.



Comments

  1. Sounds like a great recipe. :) I am going to have to give it a try! I am a reader of your blog...come visit mine to check out the award I gave you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken salad.

    I'm not a Whip girl, and I actually make my own Mayo (learned how to this on a mission trip to Peru 30 years ago, and have been doing it ever since.)

    I am going to make this on a warm Saturday, if we ever get one in Seattle, when we take the dogs out to the dog park and take a picnic with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, quick and easy. Everyone in my family should like this. Will try.

    Thanks for sharing, Pinky's Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted an easy recipe for chicken salad. I am going to use this one for sure.

    I'm with your kids....no celery and onions please.

    And it's all Mayo for me...can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frankly, I now want to eat my screen. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such yumminess! I love that canned chicken from that one store, but what's a "dollar bun?"

    I can't wait to make this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds GREAT!

    I just discovered your blog, and I love it!

    Come on over for some mom inspiration and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. M--you're a Whip girl?! I'm totally a Mayo girl .. . how did we ever become Besties . . .??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That sounds so incredibly yummy! I never thought of adding basil to chicken salad.. and we always have a few giant bushes by the middle of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds yummy and the hubs is off tomorrow so I got lunch in a dollar bun.

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds yummy and the hubs is off tomorrow so I got lunch in a dollar bun.

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic recipe! I love basil in absolutely everything, but never would have thought to put it in a chicken salad. This looks like the perfect meal for a luncheon or shower. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmmm..... that looks mmmm mmmm good! I think I have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have a million chicken salad recipes but not basil, I like it I will try it and how funny i am reading along and then I see smokem kidding, You are a chracter, good thing i was not drinking water again, you already had water come out of my nose once LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad I found your blog. I can't wait to try this recipe. I've been looking for a GOOD chicken salad recipe for a long time and this one looks perfect! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks very yummy! I'm so making this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks a-ma-zing!! I'm with you, I like miracle whip...might have to do half-and-half to appease my all-Mayo hubby...lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. What's a dollar bun and where can I get them? I think this chicken salad looks AMAZing. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOPS! I sent a comment twice because I didn't realize I needed "blog owner approval". So now you know how much I love the look of that salad. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What are dollar buns and where can I get them? Your chicken salad looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is almost the exact recipe for my chicken salad. Minus the basil. I am going to have to give it a try and see if we like it. We are totally Hellman's real Mayo folks, though. For a change, I like to switch out the almonds for water chestnuts. You'll have to take my word that it is sooo good. Love your blog. You are someone I could easily be friends with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte