Skip to main content

Family Reunion

Ugh...the dreaded words, Family Reunion. All that comes to mind is being stuck with a bunch of people whom you should know, but don't have a clue as to who they are, but they remember every. single. thing. about you, your life, your childhood quirks. You stand there, staring at them, mouth agape, thinking one of two things, "who are you" or "wow...this lady has really bad breath, and a piece of broccoli stuck between her teeth..." ('cuz, you know, you certainly aren't paying attention to what she's saying!!), yes, the dreaded family reunion.

Last weekend was dubbed a "family reunion"...I was dreading it like I dread going to the dentist, or for my annual pap, or like I dread going to a family reunion, you know? Now, I should've known better...it (insert scoff here) wasn't a family reunion!! Heck, I see these people three, four times a year! Sheesh, if only they would've called it what it was...a "get together" or, better yet, a "celebration of Grandma and Grandpa's 60th wedding anniversary" (and yes, it is the G&G of the infamous pot plant...have you read it? Check it out if not, you'll thank me later!!).

So, calling a spade a spade, our celebratory weekend was surprisingly awesome, and very much not a family reunion! We slept 30 people under one roof; staying in a "retreat" on a lake that had once housed a Monsignor and some nuns and has been converted into a homey place with fab/funky decorations, a renovated chicken coop that serves as a game room, an "art" building and 11 secluded acres to hike, roam, and get scared silly on. All for $750 bucks a night. Sheesh, can't go wrong! Anyone in MN wanting an awesome place to stay for a fun get away, contact me, I'll give you the info! Anywho, here's the front of the "Olive Branch" (which btw, is owned by five women...need I say not a thing went overlooked?!!):


Head stand contests:

Little boy conversations:


Mighty fishermen getting caught in the rain:


More rain:


Baby cousins getting to know one another:


Manly wedding dress trying on:


What a memorable weekend! Laughing, ghost stories (but that, my friends, is a whole 'nuther post), eating, playing, laughing, swimming, eating, fires, laughing, camping, eating, storms, rescuing floated away boats, did I mention eating, or, perhaps, laughing?

What I lacked in sleep, I made up for in calories, that's for sure!!


So much fun, it was, we've already booked for next year!!



Comments

  1. ok THAT wedding dress picture is too funny!! I want to hear that story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved family reunions- so happy yours ended up being wonderful after all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI there! What you said is SO true about family reunions. In fact, we just avoided one last weekend for our own good....strange things happen at reunions. Anyways, great post and thanks for stopping by The Mommy Chef!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying to hear the "nuther story" on that wedding dress photo. LOL!!!

    Thanks for stopping by for my "oldies" and being a grammar stickler. HAHA! Please don't read all my posts. The website would crash from your red pen!

    Have a great day! See ya in the funny papers.
    Alycia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can so relate to your thoughts on family reunions. I am not close to my dad's side of the family (for many reasons) and every time I go to any type of get together (which is rarely) the same thought ends up running through my head:

    "Who are you and why are you hugging me??"

    Glad you had a great time! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds like you all had lots of fun :o)

    ...even with the rain :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte