Skip to main content

It's about to start...Raising Chickens 101.

My husband? He was raised on a farm.

Me? I was raised in the city. As in, I walked a few blocks to school when I was younger.

My husband? He did chores. Multiple times a day. Without reminders.

Me? I complained so much about doing the dishes that my mom and dad gave me the job of mowing the lawn and vacuuming only my allergies are horrific and I'd sneeze and complain about mowing and soon found my only job to be vacuuming and before long that was a monthly job. At best. And with multiple "reminders" (aka "threats").

My husband? He grew up wanting to own a farm.

Me? I grew up wanting a fancy house on a city lot.

Now? We have a mediocre house on a small parcel of land (8 acres) and while I dream of a fancy house, he dreams of crops and outbuildings and tractors and animals.

So...what do we do to meld our dreams? Well, sometime between tomorrow and Thursday, we will be welcoming 25 layer chicks (the kind of chickens that lay eggs...not the "raise to eat them" kind) into our lives.

We have been converting an old wood shed into a chicken coop...I use "we" very, VERY loosely. As in, today I helped cut some chicken wire...I think I made 10 snips. GO MAMA!! I think I deserve all the credit...

The chickens are technically Belle's. She wanted to start an egg business and my handsome husband saw an opportunity to have animals and JUMPED all over it. I'm talking ALL OVER it.

But suddenly...I find myself dreaming up ways we could raise a cow or two. Or maybe that pig Hambone wants (he thinks it would be great to have an "Eggs and Bacon" business). I'd love to raise my own broiler chickens.

Gah. It's like I don't even know who I am anymore.

Before long I'll be wearing long skirts, braiding my hair in one long, stringy braid down my back, and heading out to the pasture to milk the cows for milk for our morning cereal.

Stay tuned for some (what are sure to be) adorable photos of our baby chicks!



Comments

  1. My grandmother used to raise chickens, roosters, cows, turkeys... she lived off the land between the animals and the veggie garden she created. She still has the veggie garden, but at 87 years old, she had to give up the animals. I think they kept her young though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually finding myself jealous! I would LOVE to have chickens!

    "You have chickens?!?! Are they extra crispy or original recipe?" Name that movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte