Skip to main content

Tree on Roof: The Story...


Here it is guys...the story you've all been waiting for! You can stop biting your nails and pacing impatiently, 'cuz you're about to hear the story!

It's real, real exciting...prepare yourself!

Last Friday was my FIL's birthday and we headed to a local ball diamond to play a little cut-throat, no holds barred family friendly softball. I proceeded to make a fool out of myself by catching a pop fly.


Which, in itself, is quite impressive for me...it was my reaction afterward that left me looking foolish...after I realized I caught the stupid ball, I got so excited I started squealing and jumping up and down.

Then I remembered that 30 people were watching me and I turned 96 shades of read, sheepishly dropped my head, and headed into the dugout. BUT, C'MON!! It was the 3rd out!

Anyway...after the game was over (we won), the cake consumed and the good-byes said, we traveled the 7 minutes it takes to get back to our house (this is relevant) and when we pulled in the driveway, we saw this:


Only it was darker out, too dark to take photos. I began to have just a teeny, tiny little hissy fit ("OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG..." you get the point...) and my hubby said, "calm down" like only a man can when a giant oak tree is resting on their home.



A bazillion thoughts went through my mind: "OMG", "Now we can't go on our trip", "How bad is it", "Great, now we get to struggle with insurance claims" and a ton of other ones that I can't remember 'cuz my mind was going a million miles a minute.


Here's the thing...remember the story above? The story about us playing softball and me catching a pop fly and us driving 7 minutes home?

SEVEN MINUTES.

That's how far away we were. And we were playing softball. Outside. Which means that it was NOT storming out.

No, in fact, it was not. Not a drop of rain fell nor a lightning bolt flashed. It was calm.

But yet, we had a giant oak tree ON OUR HOME.


About a week ago (while we were at Valleyfair) we had some pretty big storms come through. Think we lost any trees during that? Nope. Not a one. In fact, I don't think we lost so much as a rotten acorn.

But, as is typical with the trees on our property...in the still of the night or the calm of an evening, giant oaks will fall.

WHAT THE?!!!

Then...THEN that night? Two more big branches fell from a different tree! I don't understand.

The damage doesn't seem horribly bad...but I'm afraid of what lies beneath:



Mr. Wonderful hoisted himself into the attic and found the first rafter to be cracked in a bunch of places. I'm thinking that can't be good. And...there's a possibility that that entire section of roof has shifted...some "misaligned' spots on the far side that have never been there before led us to think this.

And...all the "what if's" and unforeseen extras. Like, well, if we need to paint the new part of the house, we may as well redo the driveway. And...since we're tearing down the roof over there, maybe we should just add in a bedroom in the basement.

What??? C'mon. You'd think things like that too.

Wouldn't you?

Oh...you wouldn't...well...nevermind then.

I'll keep you posted on what the insurance dude has to say tomorrow.

Oh, which reminds me...

PS...why must these things happen on a Friday night?! Or...better question...why don't insurance companies have someone available to reassure me that everything will be okay?! WHY???

The End.

Actually...I lie. I'm quite certain that this is far from the end. In which case, I'll just say:

Good-bye for now.

Comments

  1. Well - on the bright side...you won't need to buy firewood anytime soon! Hope it all works out and insurance come through quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how re-painting that side of the house leads to having to re-do the driveway...or that re-building the roof, leads to making a new bedroom in the basement! That's too funny...and completely how my mind works. My best friend recently settled with her insurance company regarding her roof that must be replaced due to significant hail & wind damage (oh, yeah...it's at least 100 years old too) and out of it she's determined to get a new roof, new gutters & a new front window!

    I really do hope that they can get your house assessed and fixed and you back in it ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had significant hail damage around us in April and our church (where I work) just got our entire roof ($50,000) replaced. Sometimes all things work out for a little good! Your post did make me giggle, dealing with all of that is not fun but at least you can see some of the humor in it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life throws it's share of hassles at us, doesn't it? I'll be waiting to see how it turns out... hopefully quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh I would freak out in a chorus of omg omg omg too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just thought I would say hi. I'm your newest follower! Come check out my blog...

    http://angelposesrunnynoses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. dude, that sucks. It always seems to me that things like that happen at the worst possible times. I hope you get it all straightened out (quite literally!) soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhh, I think I'll be panicking if I've seen something similar on arrival to my house

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, my goodness! I am glad you guys are ok! That is a crazy thing to happen especially when there wasn't a storm or anything. I hope you can get it all worked out and fixed without any huge issues! I hope your week gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm sorry that happened. I've been there done that, except the damage was far worse. I actually had a tree lying in my bedroom. Yep, we had our own sky light! I hope the damage gets replaced soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, I say sing it as a blessing and add on 2 bedrooms. I am totally teasing and I would have been having a huge hissy fit

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad no one was home when that happened! I would totally have freaked out to come home to that as well. Instead of a basement bedroom, I'd want a second floor addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, good luck with the insurance company! Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I would have even been able to get OMG out of my mouth. I think I would have just started crying! Hope everything works out and is not as bad as it looks!
    Why did the tree fall????

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read your most recent post and was confused by insurance adjuster...WOW! Honestly, that's one of my fears, a tree falling on the house like that. I hope everything works out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this post twice thinking I missed something. No storms? How did it happen?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy cow, that's ridiculous! All the best to you guys while working with the insurance company...auuugh. Glad you took pictures though- hopefully (one day, very far in the future most likely;), those images will make your family laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to exchange links with your site fivecrookedhalos.blogspot.com
    Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte