Skip to main content

In the Kitchen with Gram...Mashed Potatoes and Gravy!!

I'm a horrible blogger...I promised this to you last week and now here it is, this week and I'm just getting to it! Turned out to be a good thing, actually, as Gram and I were unable to make our schedules meld and had to forgo cooking together this week. :(


Next week though? We're back in the saddle with...Gram's AMAZING Egg Rolls!! Seriously, the BEST Egg Rolls ever...we've "MidWesternized" them a bit (no, no...it's not a "meat and potatoes" egg roll). So, stay tuned!


Okay, so I promised you the Mashed Potatoes and Gravy to go along with Gram's Pork Roast...and here it is!


So, remember those drippings we saved from cooking the pork roast? This is where they'll become one with your soul when you turn them into a delicious gravy to top your mashed potatoes with.


First up, The Gravy...then we'll do the taters, okay?


So, dice up an onion:




And toss it into your pan of drippings:




Next up? Make a (say this with your best French accent) roux...





Once your drippings and flour are all "roux-ified", grab yourself some water...start by pouring a cup or so at a time...




 Until you get a nice, thick gravy.




Now, you've gotta give your gravy a taste...does it taste "meaty" enough? If not, grab some boullion granules and toss them in. I've noticed with Gram's "measuring", that she uses her palm all the time to measure, so pour some granules in your palm until there is a nice little mound...I'll show you in a sec with the salt for the potatoes.




This next step is entirely optional...I just prefer a darker gravy, so we added just a touch of Kitchen Bouquet. Not a lot at all, and it completely transformed our gravy from "blah"...




To "BINGO!!!". Look at that deep, rich brown. *groan* I'm hungry now.




And that, my friends, is your gravy!!


Now, onto the "best mashed potatoes a girl (or guy) will ever eat"...


First up, and this is very important, make sure you have really horrible lighting. ;)


Okay, I'm kidding...peel and boil yourself about 1-1 1/2 medium red potatoes (and don't forget to heavily salt the water before boiling your potatoes!! Then you'll cook in all that flavor from the salt!). I lean more toward 1 1/2-2 because my peeps are potato crazy. They'll eat me out of house and home potato before you could shake a stick at 'em!


Boil them until you can just stick a fork in them...hey! That's where that saying comes from! Then drain them and get ready to turn them into a miraculous bowl of fluffy deliciousness.


Mash them a bit, then toss in about a (don't cry...or yell at me) 1/2-3/4 stick of softened butter in them.





Here is the "palm measuring trick"...and another "Gram trick"...sugar. My Gram puts a bit of sugar in most things and man alive, I swear it makes such a difference! Doesn't make it sweet at all, just gives it a "POOF" of flavor!



What follows is what I am "convinced" makes her potatoes the world's best...WARM MILK. Put a cup or so of milk into a microwave safe container and mic it until it is warm...then, pour a bit at a time (start with a 1/2 cup or so...I usually find I almost always use at least 1 cup, sometimes more, of the milk) and mash, until your potatoes become soft and fluffy.



One last, final trick...when your potatoes are mashed and smooth, grab yourself a wooden spoon and whip the heck out of them a bit, this'll make them extra fluffy!



Gram's Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, kid tested:




Kid (and everyone else!!) approved!!!




Enjoy!


Gram's Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Printable Recipes


Gravy:
Reserved drippings from roast
1/2 medium onion, diced finely
Flour to make a roux (1/4 cup?...just sprinkle some on until you get all the drippings combined)
3 c (possibly more) water
Beef boullion granules (1-2 T)
Salt to taste
Dash of Kitchen Bouquet (optional)


Toss onions into drippings and cook until soft, sprinkle flour over drippings and onions to make a roux. When all drippings are mixed well with flour (it will be VERY clumpy), then slowly add water, whisking until smooth and combined. Add boullion granules and taste. Add more salt if needed or more bouillon. Add just a bit of Kitchen Bouquet, if desired, for color.


Potatoes: (following ingredients are based on using 5lbs of potatoes.
1-1 1/2 medium red potatoes per person (or more if your peeps are potato fiends like mine) 
2 T salt in water for boiling potatoes in
1/2-3/4 stick softened, salted butter
1 T sugar
1-2 c warm milk


Peel and cut potatoes into 2 inch sized pieces. Add to salted water and boil for 20 minutes, or until just fork tender. Drain potatoes well, add to bowl for mashing. Mash a bit, then add butter and sugar. Mash until most lumps are out, then gradually add WARM milk, mashing after each addition, until potatoes are soft and fluffy! Give 'em one last whip with a wooden spoon and serve with gravy and roast!





Comments

  1. Butter and sugar... let's bring them back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipes sound super yummy, and I just have to say that I'm lovin' Baby Girl's bangs, she rocks them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby is not a gravy guy, but he LOVES mashed potatoes. I'm definitely going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. I am a horrible gravy maker. Mine comes out lumpy and tastes like flour. But after reading your recipe and instructions I know that I can add the boullion for flavor and I never knew about Kitchen Bouquet. I'm going to see if I can find that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband swears that my father-in-law's gravy was the BEST ever. Shortly before he died, we discovered his "secret ingredient" was Kitchen Bouquet.

    Your meal looks like something a food designer put together -- meticulously designed and strategically placed. Perfection! We eat our dinners out of a trough.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. have you heard of potato candy, you so need to take a few bites of the extra potatoes and make potato candy. YUMMY

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte