Skip to main content

Teenagers...


Gotta love 'em. Otherwise, you'd kill 'em.

Or something.

They are, seriously, the most frustratingly hilarious creatures on this planet. Trying to pave their way in the world. Carve out a niche for themselves. Figure out just who they are.

In all of that, they will certainly drive their parents to the edge of sanity...and then back to normal again. And then right back out to the edge. And just as suddenly, right back into normalcy. It's a vicious cycle.

But, those moments of normalcy? That's when the fun happens. When you see the glimpse of the adult they are becoming. And that's the good stuff. It's the stuff that makes all the crazies worth it.

Last night was "Pal and Mom" day. The two of us went shopping, mano a mano, had supper and caught a movie...just like we've done every year for the last *sob* 11 years. (PS..."Captain America"? Fabulous!) I love hearing his quips, his thoughts on the world...on his life.

We laughed...a lot. But it was when he said, "Gosh. I've already lived through, like, 20 world endings..and I'm only 15!" that I laughed the hardest. Don't know what it was, but it sure struck me funny!

Today will complete our "Kid and Mom" days, when I have "Belle and Mom" day. Our day tends to be a bit longer, since she is definitely her mama's girl and LOVES to shop!

I really enjoy these one on one days with my kids. Gets spendy, yeah, but it's so nice having uninterrupted time with them...time to talk and find out the important stuff in their lives.

Try it sometime...I think you'll enjoy it!




Comments

  1. I LOVE that you do this with your kids! My dad used to take me out to lunch JUST ME every summer just before I'd head back to college. He'd take my brother another time, just the two of them. And when I'd come home for Thanksgiving, he'd take me to lunch and we'd go buy all my mom's birthday (her birthday is Christmas Eve) and Christmas gifts. Just me and my dad. It was fabulous. After college, we still kept up the gift buying excursions, but every now and then he'd take me out to lunch just to catch up. When he died last year, the week before Thanksgiving, I so missed our annual shopping trip. Cherish those moments with your kids....building memories is the greatest gift you can give them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every now and then I'll take my oldest to the movies, just me and him. I let him pick the movie, the snacks, everything. It is so much fun. I love doing and hope to make it a tradition, just like you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your last mom kid day out. so my husband i tried it too. I took our son out and he took our daughter out. Next week we will switch!! : ) Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you have individual time with your children! It's such an important time in their life. They feel the "crazy" too, but they don't understand it's part of the growing pains.. God Bless the Parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a great idea. Perhaps I'll get on that when C. is in kindergarten next year....then I'll have a quiet house all.day.long.

    WWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have separate days with my kiddies but the hubs works afternoon shift so I'm with both boys all the time. I guess I can do alternating Saturdays. I think it's AWESOME that you have that kind of relationship with your kids. They will remember that FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to do this with Lulu and Bubba, but I don't know if they appreciate quite yet because they are so young. How often do you have these days - like once a month or less often than that? I'm sure it can get a little difficult with 5 chitlins - since it would take a week - but I bet it is fun!

    WM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte