Skip to main content

6 Months Later...And A God Thing. Part 1


(FYI...this is a two part post. As the result of a Twitter poll, most people said they'd prefer two shorter posts over one long one. So two it is!)

It's been just over 6 months since we lost my brother-in-law in that tragic January accident.


6 months.

It feels like it was just yesterday and a lifetime ago, all at the same time.

The wound that his death left on us, on our community, is so deep, that I'm certain that none of us will ever be the same. Most of that change will be for good; in the way we love, the way we live, the way we will help others and the way we will show our support for other grieving families. We have learned so much from being touched by the cruel hand of tragedy.

One thing that strikes me, is how we so often live our lives so wrapped up in ourselves that rarely do we take the time to touch base with our loved ones. Prior to Verd's death, it wouldn't be unlikely for me to go a couple of weeks without seeing or talking to him.

Since his accident, I have not gone one single, solitary day without thinking about him, the night of his accident, or his family that was left behind.

Some things are burned into our memories forever...cemented in place by the emotions that are connected to it. For me, it is that phone call.

If you've lost a loved one, you know what I mean by "that phone call".

I'm not sure how much I've talked about those first moments, but they are not something I will ever forget. That phone call...garbled by a bad connection and the raw emotion in my husband's voice.

That phone call. The one I wish would never have had to be made.

The one that changed everything.

In the time since Verd's accident, I've struggled with finding a way I can help out his family. His wife is an incredible woman. Strong beyond any strength I've seen, supporting her children, remembering her husband and their dad, deepening her faith. She amazes me.

And so does God.

I've been praying for a way to help. Talking to those close to me, wishing I could be of more help...and then this:

At the Mr.'s recent customer appreciation dinner, K. and I started chatting. She teaches religion to a group of students, The Pal included, and I casually asked if the groups were going to be the same as last year.

That's when she said, "Well, there's been a few negatives. I wanted to talk to you about that, is now an okay time?"

Immediately my thoughts went to some sort of misbehavior on The Pal's part.

What it turned out to be, left more of an impact than any sort of teenage shenanigans.

To be continued...



Comments

  1. Can't wait to hear the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to hear the rest. And I am sorry for your loss. I have had that call and it was horrible. And with the time of the year approaching of 4 years he's been gone... I still feel like he should be here.

    I'm also stopping by to let you know I nominated you for a blog award. I enjoy reading your blog and doing your Five Question Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte