Skip to main content

Dearest Mama:

Janae...creator of my awesome Native Honey bag (and the author of "Pink Moss", the fabulous blog that I won it from!) came up with an amazing idea for her daughters...I loved it from the moment I heard about it.

Her idea?

To get words of wisdom from people who have already lived and survived the tough teen years. She asked us to write a letter to our 12 year old selves and, knowing what we know now, give advice to that 12 year old.

So...here goes nuthin':

Dearest M:

In this, your twelfth year of life, you will focus on things that are not worth focusing on. Popularity is not something that is worth ditching a friend for...nor is it something that will ever really matter when you find yourself in, "real life".

Trust me on this..."popularity" means squat. Nothin', nada, zip...when it comes right down to it. What matters is loyalty, honesty, and truthfulness.

Friends who judge you based upon what clothes you wear or how you do your hair are not worth your time and energy. And as for the friends that try to dictate who you may or may not hang out with? Ditch 'em.

Leave 'em.

Pay them NO attention.

They are the "losers" who feel so insignificant that they bully their way to friendships and cliques. And you are worth more than that.

You deserve true friends and loyal friends, so please don't settle for less. The best friendships are the easy ones.

The ones where you don't need to worry about what you look like or who you're with or what you're wearing. Those are the friendships that will last forever.

You are never more beautiful than you are right now...at twelve, with your whole life in front of you.

Pretty soon, you will discover the thrill of boys...and let's be honest. These boys? Don't look twice...pass 'em by. They're also not worth any of your worrying or trying to impress.

Surround yourself with people who help make you better, stronger, happier...not with people who bring you down.

Being 12 kinda stinks...but find if you can find yourself and not be afraid to BE you, you will find that you'll be in such a fabulous spot, that everything will just fall into place.

What you need in life...what you need right now, at 12 years old, is confidence.

Confidence, my dear...confidence. And a healthy dose of respect for yourself to go along with it!

Love yourself...and live in this moment. These are some of the best years of your life, so enjoy them! Soak it in, embrace yourself and all that you have to offer the world...because, YOU are fabulous.

YOU are worth it.

YOU are wonderful!

All my love, respect, and admiration,
Your (much) Older You


Comments

  1. I wish someone would have said these things to me when I was twelve... but I doubt I would have believed them. Great letter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Not too long ago, I found a diary from when I was around this age and I just wanted to go back and give that girl a hug (and maybe a smack because WOW, I was worried about stupid stuff!!!). Beautiful letter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only we knew then what we know now. Well come to think of it, we thought we knew it all. Rebellion, insecurity, hormones and life all wrapped in a pre teen package. Guess what I'll be dealing with in 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the things my mum used to tell me, but unfortunately I didn't understand at the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! I love it! THis is such a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your letter :) I need all the help I can get to make the kind of impact I need, and your letter is beautiful. I tell my girls these things, but I believe it means more coming from someone else. This one is perfect for my Kinley! Thanks,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte