Skip to main content

I'd rather have been in Tahiti.


One week. Wednesday to Wednesday. That's usually how long people go on vacation.

To an exotic locale to sip fruity drinks on the beach and get tan and relax and feel the breeze in their hair and the spray of the ocean on their faces.

One week. I'd never been away from my kids for that long before.

Yeah...I'd rather have been in Tahiti. Instead, I was sitting by my 2nd born's hospital bed, worrying like crazy and trying to subdue the nurse in me.

The nurse in me who's heard horror stories of ruptured appendixes and taken care of kids very ill after their appendix had ruptured. Yeah, the mom in me put the nurse in me in a choke hold and wouldn't let her come out. I just. couldn't. go there.

In reality, my Belle was never gravely ill (says the mom in me...while the nurse in me wants to remind her of a story a doctor once told her and the risks that come with a ruptured appendix...). She was miserable. Feverish. In pain. But, never critical.


THANK GOD!!

I look back at the last week, and the stress and the worry we experienced, and it hits me that what WE went through is nothing. Nothing compared to the Kate McRae's and the Sweet Kendall's and the Greg Jager's of the world.

But yet...it was my baby. My sweet girl who I sent off to surgery...in the hands of a bunch of men who were complete stranger's to her. (Weird when you think about it..."See ya later hon! These strange men will take great care of you!") I feel like I had a hand up over most parents...I KNEW who these men were.

I trusted them.

Completely.

With my baby's life.


I have this immense gratitude for the surgeon who helped (guided by You Know Who) to heal her. He is such a humble man...whenever I thanked him for his care, he just smiled quietly and ducked his head...acting almost embarrassed for the recognition.

The magnitude of the last week is hitting me a little more, now that we are home. I get a little teary now and then and yet, I feel silly for being emotional about a little ruptured appendix when I think about what other people are experiencing.


All I know is that I'm relieved to be home. Relieved to be breaking up fights and sopping up spilled milk and staring at a pile of laundry that needs to be folded.

It's so good to be "back to life"...although, I'd still rather be emptying Tahitian sand from our clothes and looking in the mirror at a tanned, relaxed Mama...you know, in case you were wondering. ;)

----------------------------------------

PS...I have a giveaway going on over on my review blog for a $100 dollar Dick's Sporting Goods gift certificate through BlogHer and Gatorade!! Check it out!

PPS (or, is it PSS?)...Five Question Friday IS on for tomorrow!


Comments

  1. so happy to see her smiling and I hope you feel better and rested too , very soon!


    that is all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 100% know how you feel!! When Jenna was in the hospital I kept thinking how relatively easy we had it compared to so many others dealing with major health issues!! So glad she is home & on the mend. Put some sunscreen on so you can at least smell like you were laying on a beach while you fold your laundry!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower...liking your style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear that she's feeling better and you're home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're home and she's on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that yall are home!

    And I bet you could PAY for a trip to Tahiti with what your medical bills will be... BLEH.A

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear you are home! It's crazy, but I often get that way even when my kids have a cold...but then I think...it could be so much worse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to see you all home! She looks so much better in that last picture. *hugs* to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad your precious baby is home and on the mend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. so glad you both are back home! and even more glad to hear she is healing smoothly!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your Lil pumpkin is home. She is a beautiful girl. She always had a peaceful look on her face in the pictures...even when she was asleep. I am hoping she will be better and stronger each day!

    God Bless You!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just caught up on Belle's hospital visit... happy to hear she's better and you're all home again. It's so hard to see our kiddos sick, especially when a hospital stay is involved!

    Now get to that folding before it's so wrinkly it all has to go back in the dryer (not that it ever happens that way at my house). ;D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte