Skip to main content

Talkin' Shop...Dissecting Reader's Digest


When the November edition of the Reader's Digest arrived on my door, I saw that they made this issue just for me: (If you can't read backwards, hold your computer monitor up to the mirror...just don't say "Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary" three times with your back to the mirror or something scary will happen. At least that's what they told me when I was 7.)


Since the Reader's Digest neglected to contact moi (insert sarcasm font here) about what I would or would not tell patients, I have decided to dissect the article for you. Aren't you lucky?!

Today, we'll start with the very first quote from "50 Things Your Nurse Won't Tell You": (Michelle, Crouch. "50 Secrets Your Nurse Won't Tell You." Reader's Digest. November 2011: 132-41. Print.):

"When you tell me how much you drink or smoke or how often you do drugs, I automatically double or triple it." -A longtime nurse in Texas

Um. Yeah. No.

Never, not one single solitary time have I ever doubled or tripled how often you told me you snorted crack. Or how many packs of cigarettes you smoke or 5ths of whiskey you drink. Never.

However, if you tell me that you smoke 1/2 pack of cigarettes a day but really it's only 2 or 3 'cuz you've cut down and politely decline a nicotine patch but 3 hours into your hospital stay you are climbing the walls, snapping at everyone that enters your room and claiming that hospitals drive you crazy and you just need to go outside for a second for some "fresh air"...I'll admit, I will wonder if you told me a little white lie with that 1/2 pack that you said was really only 2 or 3 cigarrettes.

I may be blond, but I ain't stupid.

And that wraps up our first dissection (I sort of feel like I'm teaching an anatomy class right now...) of the Reader's Digest article...until next week, my friends!



Comments

  1. More! More! Love the talkin' shop posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think, like any profession, there are good and bad eggs (you fall under the good egg catagory, don't worry!). I think articles with statements like this just make the general public more suspicious of professionals who are in the majority when it comes to good morals and values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how she decides if she is going to double or triple it? Based on how you look? Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes yes!! More more!! :) I love your talkin shop posts! I learn so much!
    And if I EVER found out that my nurse did that (I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. But if I did).. I would have a HUGE complaint against her! Definitely if those notes needed to go to the insurance company for whatever reason.. I'd be SO mad!
    Anywho.. Thanks for posting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol- I love it! Look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I go in for surgery or when I get an epidural, I always tack on an extra 50 lbs when they ask my weight because I want to make sure I get enough of the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is funny cuz I had an outpatient surgery and the doctor questioned my husband if I had any cocktails the night before He said NO and I didn’t have any for 4 days. She said that the anesthesiologist had a hard time putting me to sleep. But that wasn’t the first time my episiotomy shot didn’t work the first time either. Wonder why it happened?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte