Skip to main content

More of What I've Learned...


This grief stuff? It's hard.

I'm a fixer...a nurturer, and when I see my loved ones hurting, I want to make it all better. So, when the Mr. was having a hard time the other night, I wanted to hug him, to let him cry, to love him.

But that's not how HE grieves.

When a couple is grieving, it's like you're dancing a delicate dance...wherein, at times, you will dance so close it's hard to distinguish where one person ends and another begins, and at other times, you find yourself dancing side by side.

In the immediate aftermath of Verd's tragic death, each one of us was so raw with our grief, we danced that close dance. Comforting, loving, supporting. Now, as we have begun to grieve while going through the motions of daily life, I find our difficult times come separate from one another.

I have come to realize that, while a big, long hug makes ME feel better...it is not what everyone wants. It's not what my husband wants.

And so, I now set out to discover what I can do to help my husband...to show him my support in ways OTHER than a hug.

In the week following Verd's funeral, my incredibly amazing friend, S., came to help me get my house in order. The love and support and kindness and compassion she has shown us is incredible. SHE is incredible. (Love ya, S.!!)

She told me that she talked to my husband the night after she came and worked her butt off (while I cried and talked and cried and maybe dusted here and there and talked some more) to get my home clean, that my sweet man said, "You have no idea what a clean house does for me."

She's right. A clean house has always made him feel relaxed...and so, she suggested that I show him my support through a clean house.

And that's what I will do.

Because I'm a fixer. And I just want to make him feel better.


Comments

  1. I hope you know you have so many praying for you. My husband and I lost our BEST FRIEND a year ago in January. And I know to some a best friend is nothing like blood brothers. But with those two it was diffrent. Neither had a brother and neither were close to their own family. They were closer than blood brothers if thats possible. Like you two, at the beging we were on the same page. We both cried and held each other. Our kids took it hard and we dealt with them together. After the initial shock and we started back to our normal lives things changed. I would catch him in an ill mood and wonder what I did. Later he would say, Its NFL draft week Jason would have called me a 100 times today to talk about who went where. Little things like that I did not see the hurt. I pray that you guys quickly find the peace your heart needs. :) (sorry this was so long)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte