Skip to main content

Judgemental, Much?

The other day, I was deep in a FaceBook creep...you know, a friend that commented on another "friend's" photo that tagged someone (who's that?) and that someone else's someone who OHMIGOSH we have a mutual friend LET ME LOOK AT ALLLLLLL THE PHOTOS? Yeah, that. Anyway, the "someone else's someone" that was tagged in the photo was about 8...and I was all, "FaceBook...at 8?". So, OF COURSE I had to look at that person's page and I went as far as the cover photo, shook my head in disgust that some good-for-nothing parents let their 8 year old have a FaceBook page and promptly left, because "Hi! I'm Mother-of-the-Year. I never make bad decisions. Never fail at parenting. And OH MY WORD. I would never and I mean NEVER let my 8 year old have a FaceBook page."

And then it dawned on me. What if...I mean, bear with me here, people...WHAT IF that "someone else's someone" was so proud and in love with her 8 year old daughter THAT SHE USED HER AS HER COVER PHOTO. Shocking, right? I mean, that is inconceivable.

Suddenly, I was all kinds of disgusted with myself. HOW DARE I judge so quickly? I didn't even bother to look further than that cover photo. I didn't even take the time justify my disapproval, I was THAT QUICK to just decide that,  "Wow. There sure are some interesting people in this world that would let their 8 year old have a FaceBook page." I just decided, in that nanosecond that the woman's whose page I was on was a terrible mother...just for allowing her daughter to have a FaceBook page.

And you know what? There probably are PLENTY of 8 year olds that have FaceBook pages and still, WHO AM I TO JUDGE?! While I won't agree that Facebook (or any social media) is the place for an 8 year old, it certainly isn't my job to be the parent police and shame the virtual bejeezus out of parent for it.

Last I checked, I had my own children to raise and guide to good decision making and protect from harm and feed and clothe and love and nurture and dote and smoosh; I can promptly take my nose out of other people's business...and immediately cease passing judgement on complete stranger's BECAUSE OF THEIR FACEBOOK COVER PHOTO.

How ridiculous can I be? In my defense, I'm happy to say that I remedied my judgement quickly and it was a welcomed slap in the face for me. A wake up call of sorts, to keep my attitude in check.

For the record, unless aforementioned 8 year old is in Human Resources, it is, indeed, her loving mother's page.

Excuse me now, while I walk away with my tail between my knees...

Hashtag lesson learned. ;)


Comments

  1. I think its human nature to judge, so please don't beat yourself up about it :) Its always good to remind ourselves that the parenting decisions we make are best for our family and not everyone will do it the same way :)

    (btw, my kids need to be 13 to have FB page :P )

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, it is easy to jump to conclusions. This is why I don't get mad when aggravated. I always go off on someone who doesn't deserve it. Of course the real meanies get free pass. But you know with children and facebook; I don't know if a virtual existence is that healthy. I enjoy searching facebook, reading articles from the newsfeed but it is a waste of my time. Time better spent living life and up moving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte