I'm equal parts excited and nervous...kinda like anticipating labor and delivery, I suppose, you know, not eager for the pain and hard work, but SO excited to see the finished product! Anyone who's read around here for awhile knows that I'm kind of, well...how do you say...FREAKISH?!!...when it comes to major purchases.
I mean, for cryin' out loud, I spent WEEKS agonizing over whether or not I should buy an iPhone, or stick with my trusty flip phone! Sheesh. (Um, can someone tell me WHY it took me so long to make that decision?!)...and then there was last summer when our washing machine died and OH EM GEE I researched and read and shopped around and visited stores and poured over reviews...all for a dang machine that will clean my clothes.
So, you can about imagine what I'm going through right now as we begin the initial planning of our remodel. HOLY. MOLY. My mind won't stop. WON'T STOP. "What kind of hardwood floors?" "Cooktop?" "Island?" "Pantry...oooooh, pantry!!" It just goes on and on...and then we decided to add in just a little project.
You know, like moving our stairs.
Yes, you read that right...we're hoping to MOVE OUR STAIRS.
Lord help us, what are we getting into?! Where's an HGTV crew when you need 'em?
Anyway, so far, we've had a cabinet dude come out and draw up some plans for us...and I'm loving them. But of course, rethinking EVERY minute detail and taking to Twitter to ask for advice!!
And now, lucky you, I'm gonna poll ya'll for YOUR advice! Here's where we need help:
1. What kind of hardwood floors do we go with? We're going with a distressed/farmhouse type feel and I REFUSE to use oak. I am SO "oaked out". So...pine? Ash? Bamboo? Hickory? (And, in a matte finish...nothing SHINY!! I repeat, NO SHINY.) Thoughts please...here's a sampling of the look I'm going for:
2. Built-in double ovens. Yay or nay? And, if "yay", what brand?
3. Are downdraft vents absolutely necessary (i.e. required to meet code) for a cooktop? I rarely use my overhead vent (microwave vent) right now, so I wonder if I truly need one?
4. We have 8 ft ceilings. I LOVE the staggered look for cabinets, but will it look goofy with our ceilings? Are we better off with full height, even though I don't like that look as much?
5. We're 90% sure we want to go with Knotty Alder for our cabinets...any reservations out there? Here's basically the very look that I want (via Pinterest) (and, ironically, a VERY similar layout to our kitchen plans) (imagine: raised counter on breakfast bar seating area) (how many parenthesis are possible in a sentence?):
I have approximately 87 billion other thoughts going through my mind right now, but let's start with these!